“Say hello to my little friend”
That little quote barely beat out “how town, summer in the city” for how I wanted to start off the introduction of these little frozen treats to you. New York City is sweltering in the summer, and as I work primarily from home I’m usually confined to the corner of my bedroom next to the air-conditioner, where I am right at this moment, staring out the window at the pigeons lining the sill 20 feet opposite me, occasionally staring over my shoulder out the other window for a view of the beautiful trees that line my street and a glimpse of the clear blue sky.
I live in Washington Heights, where the sound of kids playing in the streets and the twinkling song of the ice cream man melds with the smell of families barbequing along the river. It’s nifty. But I can’t indulge in the ice cream sandwiches and red, white and blue popsicles that everyone seems to enjoy as they watch the sun go down on the Hudson.
But it doesn’t make any difference, because now I have MANGO MINT CREAMSICLES!
The mint is from my little window box, where in some miraculous way some herbs that I had planted there last season toughed it out through the months of ice and snow and came back even healthier in the Spring. Spearmint and Chocolate Mint grow like mad, and they added a refreshing jolt to this simple combination. The mango was juicy and ripe, from Fairway Market on 132nd street, my ultimate favorite large-scale grocer in the city. The honey is local, and the yogurt is goat, from upstate.
Sugar-free, gluten-free, cow-dairy-free. Full of flavor and oh so easy to make.
Simple ingredients, awesome result.
Hot town… hot dang these are good! So say hello to my naturally sweet, ultra refreshing little friend.
- One mango, peeled and roughly chopped, with about 2 Tbsp chopped into tiny pieces.
- 1 cup of yogurt, plain (I used goat)
- 1 cup of milk (I used unsweetened vanilla almond milk)
- 1 Tbsp honey, optional
- about 5 strawberries, optional
- 3 drops yellow food coloring, optional
- 1 tsp freshly chopped mint (I used a combo of spearmint and chocolate mint)
- Combine all ingredients but mint and 2 Tbsp reserved mango in a blender and blend until smooth and frothy.
- Divide reserved mango and mint into fourths. Add half of each to the blender and stir. Use 1/4 of the reserves to put a few pieces of each in the bottom of each popsicle mold. Fill with puree, then top with the last bits of mango and mint.
- Freeze until good and hard.
- Watermelon Creamsicles and Ice Cream (blogher.com)