A while ago I shot a few fun dusty videos in my tiny little NYC kitchen with a very lovely lady behind the camera. I love performing and teaching, and often miss doing those things I’ve transferred primarily back to the writing side of the table, and so now and then I pull all of those things together for the heck of it.
This is one of my favorite quick recipes for when I want something sweet but not overwhelmingly so, like the Millet Chocolate Mug Cakes I shared with you on Monday. If you’re the kind that likes a little visual aid when in the kitchen, check out the video that accompanies this recipe. It’s silly, and fun, and supersweet. Just like time in the kitchen should be.
Just Six Gluten-Free Chocolate Chip Cookies
- 3 tbsp unsalted butter, soft
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 Tbsp dark or blackstrap molasses
- 1/4 cup brown rice flour
- 1/4 cup arrowroot or tapioca starch
- 1 Tbsp flax meal
- 1/4 tsp xanthan gum
- 1/4 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 3 Tbsp chocolate chips
- 3 Tbsp slivered almonds, pecans, walnuts, oatmeal etc.
Preheat oven to 350°.
Combine flour, flax, xanthan gum, salt and baking powder in a small bowl.
In the bowl of a mixer, beat butter and sugar until fluffy and smooth – about 2 minutes.
Add molasses and beat to combine.
Add the flour mixture in a beat on low until together. Continue to beat on high for about 2 minutes.
Add the chocolate chips and nuts and beat in to combine.
Use your hands to proportion 6 cookies, and place evenly on cookie sheets, flattening slightly.
Bake for 18 minutes, cool slightly before serving.
Notes: make sure you beat this batter well so that the butter softens completely and the sugars dissolve in, otherwise your cookies will flatten horribly. I used organic white sugar, which melts better than palm or sucanat in this recipe.
- Divine Gluten-Free Cocoa Brownies (aka the easiest brownies you will ever make!) (thedustybaker.com)
- Sugar Rush: Dairy-free, Gluten-free, Cocoa Nib Cookie with Chocolate Chips from Birdbath Bakery (newyork.seriouseats.com)
- Chocolate Hazelnut Raspberry Bars-VVP (Gluten-free, Oil-free) (thehealthyflavor.com)
- D:Floured Interview: The Art of Gluten-Free Baking + Tips for At-Home Baking (simplyrealhealthblog.com)