This is what I made last week.
This is where I was this weekend.
This is who I made them for.
Life is good.
My dear friend suffers from food sensitivities far worse than I am currently dealing with, and I wanted to make her something special in celebration of a reunion with good friends and a birthday of hers that passed too long ago when I wasn’t nearby to celebrate with her.
This is an only slightly adapted version of her Chunky Cake that I made with her a few weeks ago. I simply upped the ghee content a bit, fussed around with a few measurements and put some creamy almond butter in the middle.
They are FREE OF: sugar, flour, soy, chocolate, caffeine, nuts
Here’s how you can make them!
- 1 1/2 cup ground flax meal
- 1 cup carob powder
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp ground nutmeg
- 1/4 tsp ground cloves
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 2 tsp bourbon vanilla
- 3/4 cup ghee or clarified butter, melted
- 1 1/2 cup warm water
- 1/4 cup smooth almond butter, optional
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Line 24 muffin cups or heavily grease an 8″ cake pan.
- In a large bowl, mix ingredients in the order above, adding water gradually at the end, whisking throughout.
- For filled cupcakes, pour in enough batter to cover the bottom of the pan by about 1/2 inch, then dot 1 tsp of almond butter in the center. Cover with more batter until about 2/3 full.
- Bake cupcakes for 16 minutes and full cake for 40 or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean.
- Chunky Carob Cake – Ridiculously Allergy Friendly! (thedustybaker.com)