Fruit and cream are two of my favorite things to smash together, but since I’ve been dairy-free for almost 20 years (save for butter, which as such little protein in it I can indulge), it’s not a combo I get too often.
In dreaming about what sweets I could fill into gluten-free puff pastries other than the traditional cream for my FoodBuzz 24×24 party, the combo naturally came to mind. Why not do a mini take on a strawberry shortcake to compliment my cool and minty Mini Banana Splits?
This combo is quite adorable – full of flavor and texture, nostalgic and simple. And look how cute and romantic.
I’m all smiles. Love.
Mini Gluten-Free Puff Pastry Strawberry Shortcakes
- 1/2 recipe gluten-free puff pastry, baked with about 1 Tbsp each for a small size
- 1 quart of strawberries, chopped small
- 1 recipe Liquid Cheesecake, baked an additional five minutes to set almost firm
- 2 Tbsp organic sugar
- 2 Tbsp chopped fresh mint, plus 12 small leaves for garnishing
- Powdered sugar
Combine the strawberries, chopped mint and sugar in a small bowl, and stir to combine. Refrigerate a few hours or overnight to let the flavors meld.
To serve, cut a small hole in each of the pastries. Fill with strawberries. Use a mini cookie scoop to scoop out a round of liquid cheesecake. Tuck mint leave in between layer. Top with pastry top. Sprinkle with powdered sugar.
- Jerusalem Artichoke and Kohlrabi Appetizer – Foodbuzz 24×24 Gluten-Free Puff Pastry Party (thedustybaker.com)
- Garden Chicken Salad (thedustybaker.com)
- Lamb Stew (thedustybaker.com)
- Mocha Nib Torte – Gluten-Free Boxed Cake Makeover! (thedustybaker.com)