There are so many delicious dark chocolates out there, and knowing that they’re full of antioxidants and can help with things like high blood pressure and heart disease makes them even that more enticing.
So we tried out six types of dark chocolate and rated them for your viewing pleasure… it was a hard task, very hard, but somebody had to do it. Chocolates were rated by richness, sweetness, and overall deliciousness, each on a five-point scale. Oh, some of them are not rated on all three ’cause I explained the directions poorly… sorry. Because they were so different and all delicious, we didn’t pick one favorite, and I’m putting the individual scores on for your perusal!
1. Theo Organic Dark Chocolate
70% cacao, made in Seattle, Washington, theochocolate.com
- Laura: Richness 2, Sweetness 3. “Somewhat of a bitter aftertaste. Started out creamy, but fell apart.”
- Ruark: Richness 4, Sweetness 4, Overall 4. “Nice, mild dark chocolate.”
- Erika: Richness 4, Sweetness 5. “Amazing!”
- Jacqueline: Richness 2, Sweetness 3.5, Overall 3. “Sorta dry. Nice and deliciously bitter but blah texture, nice and nutty.”
2. Nirvana Single Origin Sao Thome
70% Cacao, Made by hand wth the “finest cocoa beans available in the world”. Cocoa beans from Africa, made in Belgium, NirvanaChocolates.com
- Laura: Richness 3, Sweetness 2. “Didn’t stand up against no. 1 for flavor, much more mild, but almost no flavor – somewhat fruity. While I thought it had a soapy aftertaste, my friend liked this one more than the first.”
- Ruark: Richness 4.5, Sweetness 4.5, Overall 4.5. “Very similar to #1, a bit more of everything but just slightly.“
- Erika: Richness 3, Sweetness 2. “Nice aftertaste.”
- Jacqueline: Richness 4, Sweetness 4, Overall 4. “Creamy, tangy.”
3. AlterEco Dark Chocolate Blackout
85% Cacao. Made from fair-trade, Bolivian cocoa beans in the Swiss tradition. Contains no artificial flavors, chemical additives or emulsifiers. AlterEco.com
- Laura: Richness 4, Sweetness 2, Overall 3. “Way too bitter – sour in flavor.”
- Ruark: Richness 3.5, Sweetness 3, Overall 3.25. “A bit bitter, almost tangy.”
- Erika: Richness 3, Sweetness 1, Overall 2. “Bitter, a little citrusy.”
- Jacqueline: Richness 3, Sweetness 1, Overall 4. “Very bitter, good strong taste, I LOVE bitter chocolate. Would be good for baking in sweet dishes?“
4. Phinney Chocolate Factory Nib Brittle
65% Cacao (contains milk). “Fair prices, direct trade, community development and environmental stewardship” From Theos Chocolate.
- Laura: Richness 1, Sweetness 4, Overall 2.5. “We didn’t like this one – very grainy, though that could have been the “brittle” – it stayed grainy in the mouth. Very sour aftertaste.“
- Ruark: Richness 4, Sweetness 4.5, Overall 4.25. “Nice flavor with the chips”.
- Erika: Richness 3, Sweetness 3, Overall 3. “I like the crunch, but it’s a little bitter.”
- Jacqueline: N/A… No milk for me. Note the lower the cacao content the higher possibility of milk.
5. Pure and Dark Chipotle Rounds
No other information (cue mysterious music). From a delicious shop on the corner of Bleeker and 10th Street in NYC. Dark chocolate with a dusting of Chipotle!
- Laura: Richness 5, Sweetness 4, Overall: 4.5. “Nice and creamy, very nice kick to it, and a lovely sweetness behind the heat. Wonderful surprise!”
- Ruark: Richness 4.5, Sweetness 4.5, Overall 4.5. “Nice richness and sweetness, but WHOAH!! What a kick!”
- Erika: Richness 5, Sweetness 2, Overall 3.5. “Oh, spicy! Intense, I only ate one.”
- Jacqueline: Richness 5, Sweetness 4, Overall 4.5. “Very creamy, love the kick, taste even more awesome the more you eat. Good for a meat recipe!”
6. Pure and Dark Cardamom Rounds
Same deal as above, but with a dusting of cardamom!
- Laura: Richness 5, Sweetness 5, Overall 5. “This was my favorite – love the cardamon, very creamy and a wonderful combination of sweetness and spices – fantastic!”
- Ruark: Richness 4.5, Sweetness 4.5, Overall 4.5. “Another flavorful chocolate, accentuated nicely by the cardamom.“
- Erika: Richness 4, Sweetness 3, Overall 3.5. “Less spicy but still has some kick.“
- Jacqueline: Richness 5. Sweetness 5, Overall 5. “Love the cardamom!“